It’s been a long time since I haven’t bought Nutella. As I have some self-control issues it’s better for me not to have this kind of temptations near me.
I have to choose between eating a whole Nutella jar and not eating at all.
It seems like the second choice is the healthiest.
However, I think I found an in-between option: making my own Hazelnut & Cacao Spread. Much healthier, less addictive and still delicious!
I can’t say that this spread tastes like Nutella (and you should never offer it as “Nutella”). It has a more “mature flavor”… Yeap, this definition is another invention of mine that means: flavor better appreciated as one grows older (for example, dark chocolate).
Try it with your favorite baked goods in breakfast… I’m pretty sure you will love it!
Hazelnut & Cacao Spread: about one cup and a half
Version adapted from Silk and Spice
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cacao powder (I used Dutch processed)
- 3 tablespoons agave syrup (or maple syrup)
- 1/2 cup low fat milk (use almond milk for vegan version)
- 1 tablespoon nut oil (I used walnut oil)
- a dash of salt
- Preheat oven at 200ºC.
- Put the hazelnuts in a baking tray and roast them in the oven for about 10 minutes or until you feel the nut smell coming out from the oven.
- Remove skins from the hazelnuts with your hands or rubbing them with a paper towel. They don’t have to end up perfectly peeled.
- Blend hazelnuts in a food processor until a paste is formed.
- Add the rest of ingredients and blend until it looks even.
Serving: 1 tablespoon
Total Fat (g): 3.6
Carbohydrates (g): 3.4
Protein (g): 1.0