Seasons are kind of new to me.
In Venezuela, my home country, we have rainy and dry season and temperatures are pretty stable during the year. The variety of landscapes we have is amazing… We have not only beautiful beaches but also cute little towns in mountains with fresher weather.
Thanks to this variety, we have a lot of coconuts along the beaches and a few berries cultivated in cooler weathers.
At the back of my mind I had:
Cristina (a super good friend who I met during my Master) sent me an email to ask for my opinion about a recipe she wanted to make which included coconuts and berries. She doubted because of the combination of flavors.
The truth is… I didn’t know what to answer. I couldn’t have associated those flavors spontaneously! I decided to make an ice cream with coconut milk and berries to have an opinion based on concrete evidence.
Final judgment: loooooove this combination of flavors!
None of the fruits take anything from the other.
Oh! And finally, Cristina decided to make her dessert and also turned out to be a success!
Cris, thank you for inspiring me 🙂
Coconut & Berries Ice Cream: from 6 to 8 servings
- 300g berries (fresh or frozen)
- 100g sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 400ml coconut milk
- Cook the berries with the sugar in a saucepan at medium temperature until sugar is dissolved (about 5 minutes).
- Blend the fruit and, if you prefer, you can strain the liquid in order to obtain a uniform smooth cream (I didn’t do this last step).
- If you have an ice cream maker, you know what to do, but if not…
- Put the cream in a container and place it in the refrigerator.
- Wait 1 hour…
- Take the container out of the refrigerator and stir the cream in order to break the ice crystals formed until then. You can do this by hand or with an electric mixer. Place the container in the refrigerator again.
- Wait 45 minutes…
- Repeat the stirring process.
- Wait other 45 minutes and repeat the process for 3-4 hours.
Serving: 120 g
Total Fat: 12.2g