I remember trying to make these cookies when I was around 10 years old. I think that I might have made 4 different batches and they were all a mess. They always spread in the oven and created one big thin cookie. At my best friends house they used to make them perfectly. I recall one time that we went to the beach and Lorena (my super best friend) put all the cookies in a little briefcase and I think we ate them in just one weekend!
Those were times when we didn’t think about nutrition or the extra weight you would gain eating that kind of cookies, we just enjoyed our moment together eating a bunch of cookies even though we were going to wear only swimsuits for the following days 🙂
Finally, my parents bought Crisco shortening for me (not the local brand I was using) and they turn out just like those of my weekend on the beach! I was so happy! I gave them as a present for my aunts’ birthday.
At the moment, I thought that the problem with the first batches was the shortening brand but it wasn’t. Later, I made the cookies with my Venezuelan local brand and they were as perfect as the Crisco edition.
These cookies are totally against bikini season, but I dare you to try them anyway!
Polvorosas: around 40 cookies
Version adapted from Mi Cocina. Armando Scannone
- ½ cup shortening
- 163g all-purpose flour
- 150g sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Powder sugar to garnish
- Preheat oven at 160ºC and set the oven tray to the lowest position. We want these cookies to be browner at their bottom.
- Put a baking sheet on the tray you are going to use for the cookies.
- Mix all ingredients in the electric mixer with the dough hook. You can also knead with your hands. The dough will be grainy.
- Form little balls of around 1.5 centimeters (or bigger if you want to). This will be a little hard because you will have to press the dough to keep it together, but this is why they have their special consistency. Put them on the tray and you can make a cross design with the backside of a fork. They shouldn’t spread at all in the oven.
- They will be ready when they look browner. It took me about 25 minutes.
- Set a cooling rack with absorbent paper towel to cool them down.
- Garnish with powder sugar. This time I didn’t do it, but last time I did (check the photo bellow).
Be careful… They are absolutely addictive!
Serving: 1 cookie
Total Fat: 2.6g