My sister and brother in law are coming to visit us this weekend… They live in Holland, just a three-hours-drive away. Maybe it doesn’t sound very near, but it is actually pretty cool since we have lived much further during the last 6 years. In fact, it’s been around 5 years since my sister and I haven’t spent her birthday together and we are going to make it this weekend!
My brother in law is a chemist, super cook and, also, the devil. Every time I see him I gain 1kg every 2 days. I’m not joking, I have serious statistics about this.
As I was sure that the weekend was waiting for me with more excesses than usual, I decided to make something healthy for breakfast… Oatmeal! However, I have this thing that, when I eat oatmeal I don’t like to drink my usual latte because I feel it’s too much milk in just one meal.
So I thought: I should add my usual latte to the oatmeal.
But I got greedy and my following thought was: I must add chocolate too!
And my last though was: Is my brother in law the devil? Or is it me?
This recipe is how my uncle Johnny taught me to make oatmeal with less calories but still tasty… Thank you!
Mocha Oatmeal: 2 servings
- ½ cup old fashion rolled oats
- ½ cup warm water
- ½ cup low fat milk (if you want to, you can reduce substitute milk for water)
- ¼ cup brewed coffee
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cacao powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons of chocolate chips
- Dash of salt
- Put the quick cooking oats and the warm water together in the pot you are going to use to cook the oatmeal. Wait about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Place your pot in the stove at a medium-high temperature and add milk, coffee, cacao powder, sugar and salt.
- Cook until you get the consistency you like.
- Add chocolate chips and stir to melt them.
- You can add some more chocolate chips and/or additional milk for serving.
Serving: 1 serving of about 1/2 cup
Total Fat: 2.9g