If there is such thing as a perfect marriage it is between dark chocolate and orange. Their differences are what make them flawless together. When I taste this combination I don’t savor chocolate and orange, I feel chocorange. Do you know what I mean? You can’t get this whole new flavor by combining any two (or more) ingredients, you find this in perfect marriages.
Anyway, as I recently made orange confit and I also wanted to share with you the best chocolate cupcake recipe ever, I decided to make chocolate cupcakes soaked in orange syrup! However, if you’re not in an orange mood, you can choose any other topping (I suggest trying these chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese buttercream… Yummm!)
Chocolate & Orange Syrup Cupcakes: 12 regular cupcakes / 24 small cupcakes
- 65g all-purpose flour
- 20g unsweetened cacao powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 20g chocolate chips
- 57g unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 100g sugar
- 1 medium egg (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup buttermilk (or ½ cup of milk with a teaspoon of lemon juice)
- Preheat oven at 175ºC (This time, I set my oven in 160ºC convection)
- Set up your cupcake liners or grease and flour your cupcake tray.
- Sift flour, cacao powder, baking soda and baking powder.
- Add chocolate chips and distribute evenly with a fork.
- Cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract.
- Set electric mixer to the lowest speed and alternate dry ingredients and buttermilk. Finish with the flour-cocoa powder mix.
- Make sure that batter is well mixed. You don’t want to find white spots in your chocolate cupcakes!
- Distribute batter into the cupcake liner three-quarters full each.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes if you’re making small cupcakes or 18-20 minutes if you’re making regular ones. Don’t over bake!
- Take cupcakes out of the oven, wait for 5 minutes and put them in a rack to cool them down.
- Poke your cupcakes in order to help them absorb better the orange syrup.
- Paint your cupcakes with the orange syrup with a brush.
- Garnish as you wish… Or leave them shine with syrup!
- If you want to make these cupcakes but you don’t want or you don’t have time to make orange confit, you can also make a simple orange syrup like this:
- Heat 50ml of orange juice with 30g of sugar in the microwave or the stove. When sugar is dissolved, you have a delicious orange light syrup.
Serving: 1 mini cupcake
Total Fat: 2.5g