I’ve been thinking about having this blog for some time but my unexpected move to Luxembourg delayed this project for some months. This post is which I planned to be my first one and it was going to be for last Valentine’s Day. I don’t really believe in Saint Valentine’s Day but I do believe that it is a great opportunity to get some corny inspiration ❤
In February, I was in Madrid and the strawberry season begun, actually, they were fresones which are really, really large strawberries. Then I thought: what a beautiful coincidence that strawberry season starts on Saint Valentines’ month! It is perfect, isn’t it?
At the moment, I felt the obligation to buy a huge rack of those beautiful strawberries and make something with them. I made two different recipes:
- Rustic Strawberry Cupcakes (Strawberry Season Part I)
- Strawberry & Banana muffins (Strawberry Season Part II)
On one hand, the cupcakes had an amazingly intense strawberry flavor but I prefer strawberries in “fresher desserts”. It’s like the cupcake form, with the buttercream and all, took out the strawberry freshness. On the other hand, the muffins were outstanding.
Rustic Strawberry Cupcakes: 6 regular cupcakes / 12 small cupcakes
Version adapted from Objetivo: Cupcake Perfecto
- 115g all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 60g unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 90g sugar
- 1 medium egg (room temperature)
- 60ml strawberry yogurt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 100g strawberries
- 125g unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 120g sifted icing sugar
- 60g mashed strawberries
- 60g strawberries cut in small pieces to decorate
- Preheat oven at 175ºC (Remember! Every oven is different. Be aware while baking)
- Set up your cupcake liners or grease and flour your cupcake tray.
- Cut strawberries in small pieces.
- Sift flour and baking powder.
- Cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer until it looks pale and fluffy.
- Add the egg and the vanilla and mix it until the batter is homogeneous.
- Set speed of electric mixer to the lowest one and add half of the mixture of flour-baking powder, then the yogurt and finally, the other half of flour-baking powder.
- Add strawberries with a spatula.
- Divide batter evenly, filling each cupcake liner three-quarters full. It doesn’t matter if it seams too little… The batter will rise!
- Bake for 10-12 minutes (assuming you’re making small cupcakes) or until cake taster comes out with a few moist crumbs attached.
- Take cupcakes out of the oven and, after 5 minutes, move them to a rack to let them cool.
To prepare the rustic butter cream:
- Mix butter with sifted icing sugar at a medium-high speed until it looks like an ice cream (about 5 minutes).
- Buttercream will become “rustic” by adding mashed strawberries which will have still small pieces of fruit.
- Wait until cupcakes are cold.
- I used a teaspoon to put the buttercream on top of the cupcakes and then added small pieces of strawberries.
- Feel free to decorate them as you want but always wait until cupcakes are completely cold or buttercream will melt!
Enjoy these sweet strawberry bites!
Serving: 1 mini cupcake
Total Fat: 12.7g