Honestly, I don’t love brownies… I don’t know exactly why but they’re not my cup of tea. However, this is the kind of treats that I really want to be able to nail, so my future children, nephews and nieces love me for what I bake (yeah… If it depended on me, they would have a lot of extra pounds). Therefore, I’ve been looking for a great classic brownie recipe.
During one of my long visits in Pinterest I saw a fudgy-brownie picture that made my mouth melt and I decided to go for that recipe.
I did over bake them a little but still, they were irresistible! Definitely, now these brownies are my cup of tea… While I was writing this post I ate more than I should. It was difficult not to… it was cold and hailing in Luxembourg and a bunch of brownies were screaming at me: eat us!
Classic Brownies: 45 brownies
Version adapted from Saltbox House / Gluten free version
- 226g unsalted butter
- 41g unsweetened cacao powder
- 260g all-purpose flour
- 375g sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 medium eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 100g chopped walnuts (optional)
- 56g softened butter
- 1/4 cup milk (I used low fat milk)
- 20g unsweetened cacao powder
- 345gr icing sugar
- Dash of salt
- Preheat oven at 175ºC
- Grease and flour a baking pan (I used 23cmx33cm)
- Melt butter in microwave or in the stove in medium temperature, leaving some solid pieces and then melting them by stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Mix melted butter with cacao until smooth.
- Add sugar, flour and salt and, when they are mixed, add eggs, vanilla and lastly, the chopped nuts if you want them in your brownies (I did).
- Pour batter in your baking pan and spread it evenly.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Attention in this point! I baked them for 23 minutes and I believe that 20 minutes would have been enough… Keep checking them and try to find the perfect consistency according to your oven by inserting a cake tester. It is ok when it comes out a little moist.
While the cake is in the oven…
- Mix all the ingredients of the chocolate icing in an electric mixer.
- When the cake is ready, wait 5 minutes and take it out from the baking pan.
- Wait until the cake is warm and decorate with chocolate icing as you wish. It will melt a little and it will crystalize.
- Cut the cake into brownies, mine were about 4x3cm.
Try not to eat them all!
Serving: 1 brownie
Total Fat: 4.2g